Tuesday, March 13, 2012

LDL #41

By Jerry Gaudet

The Central High Class of 1954 held it's 41st "LDL" (Let's Do Lunch) gathering at Jimmies Restaurant in Mint Hill today. Mary Sue had cheerfully decorated for St. Patrick's Day Welcoming table...

Table decorations were ready for us...

Above and left to right: Gayle Barrier Austin, Ronnie Rallis Pourlos, Jimmie Pourlos, Lou Palomba, Betty Rose Templeton Palomba, and Karol Broadwell Welch. At the background table are Sylvia Brawley, Vic Brawley, Anne Andrews, Mike Andrews, Anthony Burnett (Mary Sue's grandson and decoration helper) and Mary Sue Banks Burnett.

Below are Anne and Mike Andrews who came to town to be with us... Up from Florida.

Mike tells us he has retired, but continues as an interim pastor until Anne will retire in a year. How good to seem them in our neck of the woods.

There were expressions of concern for Ellouise Diggle Schoettler following the recent death of her husband, Jim, and Shirlene McGill Yeargins who will have a visit to the hospital Friday.

Betty Palomba informs us that she will miss next month's "LDL". Something about having to take a Easter cruise. Well, somebody has got to do it. Lou suggested that we all come along. Not a bad idea, huh?

We are missing a lot of you of late...as a matter of fact, we miss all of you who have not made it to an "LDL" lately. Maybe next month will be a time you can, and will, come.  -JG

***End of "LDL" report #41***



According to her website this is a letter from Ellouise written a couple of days ago:

"We have just finalized the arrangements for Jim’s funeral, and I wanted to let you know what we are planning.
We will be holding a funeral mass followed by a simple reception on Saturday, March 24th at 11 am at our parish,church, the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, in Chevy Chase (http://www.blessedsacramentdc.org/). At the end of the mass before the reception there will be a short opportunity for sharing remembrances.

The death notice will be published in the Washington Post the week of the funeral.

It will be several months until Jim’s ashes can be interred at Arlington National Cemetery where he will have a full military honors ceremony.
As you can imagine, this is a very difficult time for our family. We knew that Jim's cancer was winning this battle but we never expected he would go so quickly -- within only 2 weeks of coming home from the hospital. We are very grateful that we could care for him so that he could pass away in his own home, which is what he so wanted.

Jim and I appreciated all your prayers and well wishes throughout his illness, and we hope you will continue to pray for him.